Frequently asked questions
- How Do I Make an Online Reservation?
- How do I change or cancel my reservation? My travel plans have changed, can I get a refund?
- Do I qualify for a discount?
- Do I need a reservation?
- What is Tofino Bus's policy on children travelling unaccompanied?
- Can pets travel on the Tofino Bus?
- Can I bring my bike?
- Can I bring my surfboard?
- Can I bring food and drink on the Tofino Bus?
- Do Tofino Bus's pick up and drop off times at Departure Bay Ferry Terminal connect with ferry crossings? Which ones?
- I am arriving as a foot passenger at Departure Bay Ferry Terminal. Where do I meet the Tofino Bus?
- What happens If the ferry is delayed?
- Does Tofino Bus service Duke Point?
- How do I make a connection from…
- Can the Tofino Bus be flagged down along the road?
- Does Tofino Bus ever cancel trips due to weather conditions, road closures, breakdowns, or accidents?
- Can I use a Greyhound Ticket on the Tofino Bus?
- How do I use a Greyhound Discovery Pass?
- How do Greyhound Companion Fares apply to Tofino Bus?
- Am I able to get an Advance Purchase Greyhound Ticket for the Tofino Bus?
How do I make an Online Reservation?
- Follow the “make a reservation” links from our www.tofinobus.com website.
- Select a Departure City, a Destination City and a Date. Press Submit.
- The system will take you to the “Payment page,” complete payment. If you don’t know what Hotel your staying just enter “not applicable.
- After your credit card has been processed you will be on the “your itinerary page.” This is your itinerary and a copy will automatically be sent to your email address. At boarding you will only need your full name.
How do I change or cancel my reservation? My travel plans have changed, can I get a refund?
- Changing your reservation is free. To change your reservation phone our reservation phone line 1.866.986.3466. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your reserved ticket. Once your reservation has departed no changes or refunds are possible.
- Refunds are less 10% cancelation fee and must be completed before your reservation expires. Once your reservation has departed no changes or refunds are possible. Please let us know before your ticket expires.
- Students with a valid high school or post-secondary I.D. card with a valid expiry date are eligible for a 10% discount. The card must be presented to the driver or ticketing agent before purchase to be honoured.
- Hostelling International members with a valid membership card are eligible for a 10% discount. The card must be presented to the driver or ticketing agent before purchase to be honoured.
- Seniors 65+ are eligible for a 10% discount.
- Please note: If you are eligible for a discount, please mention this at time of ticket purchase. Refunds for the difference will not be given after initial ticket purchase.
- Discounts can not be combined.
Reservations are always recommended to assure your seats.
What is Tofino Bus's Policy on Children Travelling Unaccompanied?
Unaccompanied Minors ages 8 - 14 years of age are able to travel alone if the following rules are followed:
1. Unaccompanied minors must have an Unaccompanied Child Form completed for them (available from Depot).
2. The parent/guardian of the minor is present at time of boarding
3. The child must be met at the destination station by the person specified on the Unaccompanied Child form.
4. All unaccompanied children will be charged the student fare.
5. The arrival bus depot must be open.
6. Travel must be during daylight hours.
See our policies section for more details.
Pets are not allowed on board our buses or underneath in the luggage bays. The only exception: certified guide dogs.
Bicycles must be reserved 1.866.986.3466. Tofino Bus can take two unpackaged bike per schedule, with a reservation, for a $5 charge. All unpackaged bikes must be reserved. If there is already a bike reserved on the date of travel, we can only accept bicycles that are in boxes. Boxed bikes can travel unreserved as a piece of checked luggage for a $5 charge. Bike boxes are usually available in the Port Alberni and Tofino depots. If you are traveling onto a Greyhound bus (Vancouver passengers) all bikes must be shipped as freight.
Tofino Bikes will package your bike securely for shipping (for a fee) in Tofino. Call 250-725-BIKE for further information.
Surfboards are welcome free of charge. Surfboards must be less than 8ft. in length and must be packaged properly. Tofino Bus Services Inc. is not liable for any damage that may occur while shipping or transporting your surfboard. If you are traveling onto a Greyhound bus (Vancouver passengers) all surfboards must be under 7 ft and will be subject to extra fees. Surfboards must be carried on BC Ferry. No bus on ferry. Vancouver to Nanaimo is walk on/walk off in both directions. BC Ferry luggage services available however surfboards not accepted and must be carried on.
Can I Eat Food or Drink on the Tofino Bus?
Food and Drink is limited to bottles with a screw lid and dry snack foods. Thank you for your help in keeping our buses clean.
Do Tofino Bus's Pick Up and Drop Off Times at Departure Bay Ferry Terminal Connect with Ferry Crossings? Which Ones?
The Tofino Bus picks up and drops off foot passengers at the Departure Bay ferry terminal.
October 2012 to May 31, 2013
Daily to Ucluelet and Tofino: Foot passengers travelling on the 8:30 am Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay will connect with the Tofino Bus Island Express at Departure Bay at 10:25 am to Parksville, Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino. On Friday and Sunday only there is an additional connection for foot pasengers travelling on the 12:30 pm Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay will connect at 2:25 pm at Departure Bay to Ucluelet and Tofino
Daily to Port Alberni; Foot passengers travelling on the 8:30 am and 12:30 pm Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay will connect with the Tofino Bus Island Express at Departure Bay at 10:25 am and 2:25 pm to Parksville and Port Alberni. On Friday and Sunday only there is an additional connection for foot passengers travelling on the 5 pm Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay will connect at 7:15 pm at Departure Bay to Parksville and Port Alberni.
Heading to Vancouver; Tofino Bus arrival times at Departure Bay allow plenty of time to connect with the 12:30 pm sailing, 3 pm sailing, and 7:00pm (this last bus operates on Fridays and Sundays only) sailing from Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay.
The Tofino Bus meets foot passengers in the foot passenger pick-up zone within Departure Bay ferry terminal. Look for the reserved bus parking marked Tofino Bus Island Express.
Tofino Bus Island Express will wait for late ferries up until 45 minutes after scheduled ferry arrival. E.G. If a ferry is due at 10:05 am, Tofino Bus will wait until 10:50 am for passengers arriving on delayed ferries. Please note that before picking up foot passengers, the Tofino Bus will be waiting for the arrival of passengers aboard the Vancouver Greyhound bus at the Nanaimo bus depot. Following this, the bus will depart the Nanaimo Bus Depot and pick up foot passengers at Departure Bay. Please be ready for expedient boarding. If you are on a late ferry, please call us and let us know.
Does Tofino Bus Service Duke Point?
No, Tofino Bus does not service Duke Point. Transfers from Duke Point to Departure Bay Ferry Terminal or Nanaimo Bus Depot are offered by the Nanaimo Airporter (1-800-209-7792) or AC Taxi (1-800-753-1231).
Two scheduled bus companies provide service to these cities; Greyhound and Island Link Bus. Connections can be made with the Tofino Bus Island Express in Parksville or in Nanaimo. For more info visit greyhound.ca and islandlinkbus.com. Furthermore, Courtenay BC Transit provides service from next to the Courtenay Bus Depot to the Buckley Bay Ferry (to Denman and Hornby Island).
Transfers from the Nanaimo Airport to Nanaimo Bus Depot or Departure Bay Ferry Terminal are offered by the Nanaimo Airporter (1-800-209-7792) or AC Taxi (1-800-753-1231). Greyhound Canada also provides service at Cassidy airport.
Transfers from the Comox Airport to the Courtenay Greyhound Depot are offered by Comox Taxi (1-866-339-7955). The Island Chauffer also provides Comox Airport service to other Tofino Bus pickup points on Vancouver Island such as Parksville (250-954-9694.). Island Link bus also provides Comox airport bus service that will connect with Tofino Bus Island Express. Visit www.islandlinkbus.com for more info.
Transfers from Victoria Airport to the Victoria Bus Depot are offered by AKAL Airport Shuttle Bus (1-877-386-2525).
Vancouver to Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino can be purchased online at tofinobus.com The Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay BC Ferry Terminal in West Vancouver operated by Greyhound. Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal to Departure Bay, BC Ferry Terminal provided by BC Ferries. BC Ferry luggage services available (surfboards not included in luggage services on ferry therefore must be carried on). Departure Bay Ferry Terminal, Nanaimo to Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino provided by Tofino Bus. All one ticket purchased online at tofinobus.com
If you are travelling from the west coast to Salt Spring Island, you will transfer to the southbound Greyhound Bus in Nanaimo. You will take this bus to Chemainus. From here, you can take a public bus (#6) to the Crofton Ferry Terminal which services Vesuvius Ferry Terminal on Salt Spring Island.
Can the Tofino Bus Island Express be Flagged Down Along the Road?
Yes, Tofino Bus Island Express offers Flag pickups along our route at specific locations only. Visit our schedules page to view our Flag Stops. Flag stops are often side of the road locations therefore please have exact change and carry on bags only (as much as possible). Please contact the Tofino Bus office if you have any questions about designated flag stops or wish to inform us of your intent to board at a flag stop. Reservations required for flag stops.
Does Tofino Bus Ever Cancel Trips Due to Weather Conditions, Road Closures, Breakdowns, or Accidents?
Poor weather that results in dangerous road conditions can impact on-time performance. Tofino Bus Services Inc. will not be held liable for missed connections or other interruptions due poor weather conditions. Tofino Bus Services Inc. reserves the right to cancel planned trips in the event passenger and / or vehicle safety is compromised. Tofino Bus Services Inc. maintains and services its vehicles in accordance with manufacturer instructions, and checks are made in accordance with Motor Vehicle and Passenger Transportation Branch requirements. Despite this, mechanical breakdowns do occur from time to time. In this case, Tofino Bus Services Inc. will do everything in its power to provide alternative transportation, but will not be held liable for missed third party carrier connections. The limited alternate route opportunities on Vancouver Island can cause severe traffic congestion in the event of a road accident. In the event traffic is held up due to an accident, Tofino Bus Services Inc. will not be held liable for any missed connections that may result. Tofino Bus Services Inc. never cancels a scheduled departure unless the highway is closed.
Yes. Purchase tickets from any Greyhound agent - Greyhound fare rules apply. We accept all valid Greyhound tickets.
You can purchase a Greyhound Discovery Pass from any Greyhound agency, including the Tofino Bus depots in Tofino and Port Alberni. For more information on Discovery Passes, please visit: http://www.discoverypass.com/products.asp
Companion Fares are a fare discount offered by Greyhound. Tickets can be purchased at any Greyhound depot or on the Greyhound Canada website, at least five days prior to travel. As an Interline carrier of Greyhound, Tofino Bus Services does accept Companion Fare tickets as valid tickets, but does not sell tickets at this discount for travel on Vancouver Island routes. Tofino Bus can issue Companion Fares for travel from Vancouver and beyond.
Advance Purchase tickets are a fare discount offered by Greyhound. Tickets can be purchased at any Greyhound depot or on the Greyhound Canada website for certain routes 1, 7, or 14 days prior to travel. These tickets are non-refundable. As an Interline carrier of Greyhound, Tofino Bus Services does accept Advance Purchase tickets as valid tickets, but does not sell tickets at this discount for travel on Vancouver Island routes. Tofino Bus can issue Advance Purchase tickets for travel from Vancouver and beyond based on Greyhound.ca web-based fares.